Home || News & Rumors || Dark Reviews || Message Board || Gifts & Gore
Infernal Interviews || Hollywood Horror || Written in Blood || Convention Crypt || Little Blog of Horrors || Serial Killers

Click Here! Visit our Sponsors
CONTESTS   

SECTIONS   
DARK REVIEWS   

Welcome to the Dark Reviews!!
We openly welcome discussion of any and all of these reviews in the Cesspool - simply post a link to the review, or portions of the review itself in the correct section of the message board and discuss away!!
Criteria used and explaination for ratings are posted in each section.
...Now on with the reviews!!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login. Home | Help | Search | Members | Login

Dark Reviews | Written | Books | Dark Faith editors M. Broaddus & J. Gordon... « Previous | Next »
Pages: 1  Reply | Send Topic | Print
 Topic: Dark Faith editors M. Broaddus & J. Gordon  (Read 2679 times)

Dark Faith editors M. Broaddus & J. Gordon « 05/13/10 at 1:43pm » Quote | Modify
Sitting down to read the stories in Dark Faith is like sitting down with a huge box of gourmet dark chocolates.  They're so delicious, but you can't finish them all in one sitting.  This book is heavy.  And I don't just mean because it has 25 short stories, five poems, and a novella.  The theme of this collection is faith, or the lack thereof, and it lives up to the "Dark" in the title.  Not a book for the faint-hearted.  You read two or three of the offerings, and then you have to go some place quiet where you can curl up in a fetal position and think about what you've read.

Having said that, I'd also like to say that it may be the best anthology I've ever read.  For the most part, it reads like a "Year's Best" rather than a nominee for it.  Rarely have I gone from story to story in a collection and felt such a frisson of sheer disturbance from each one.

Some favorites:

"Ghosts of New York" by Jennifer Pelland.  I finished this one, and my husband said, "What?"  Evidently, I was staring off into space with a look so grief stricken on my face it scared him.

"Zen and The Art of Gordon Dratch's Damnation" by Douglas F. Warrick. A story that made me wish I could remove my brain and rinse it out under cold water.  Not only does it send you to the aforementioned fetal position, it nearly incapacitates you with the beauty of the prose.

"Go And Tell It On The Mountain" by Kyle S. Johnson.  Oh, good, a funny one, I thought.  Having a smoke with Jesus.  Then, Oh, dear.  Oh, no.  Oh, well.

"The Mad Eyes of the Heron King" by Richard Dansky.  A compact dissertation on the dangers of hubris.

"The Unremembered" by Chesya Burke.  Subtle, wicked, and angry.  Beautifully done.

"Miz Ruthie Pays Her Respects" by Lucy A. Snyder.  Who knew grave desecration could be so funny?  In a snarky way.

"For My Next Trick, I'll Need a Volunteer" by Gary A. Braunbeck.  As usual, Braunbeck broke my heart.

All of the above notwithstanding, Dark Faith is not flawless.  Three or four of the stories and one of the poems simply do not stand up to the standards of the others, which makes it a bit uneven.  But even a good box of chocolates is like that; there's always one or two you're not crazy about.  (Myself, I don't like the ones filled with the pink or white cream.  If I want frosting, I'll eat cake.)  It's about 80% gold and 20% tin.  But what's golden is so very golden, it's easier to pass the ones that don't measure up.  I wish we had four-and-three-quarters stars, because it's just a little bit nearer to perfect than four and a half.

Kudos to editors Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon and to publisher Jason Sizemore of Apex Books for producing a collection that will amaze, offend, astound, and enthrall readers.

And for the record, Dark Faith rejected the story I submitted, and I still think it may be the most incredible anthology ever.

Dark Faith
Edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon
Apex Publications
May 1, 2010
Trade Paperback
$19.95
TPB ISBN: 978-0-9821596-8-2

Posted by:  SmartNDeadly   Corpse   Posts: 15
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply | Send Topic | Print

« Previous | Next »

Dark Reviews » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!    YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Design by Grendel's Den

Server by Higher Level Web Host
Sorry, the copyright tag must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of YaBB!